In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1franco masculineFrench/Swiss/Belgian franc — franco francés/suizo/belga
- On the other hand, the issue of half francs and quarter francs was maintained up until 1642.
- Prices are displayed in euros as well as francs.
- In 2004, the value of the Malagasy franc dropped again to 9500 fmg to the dollar.
- In 16 days the euro will be introduced in 12 European countries, and francs, lire, pesetas and the like will be a thing of the past.
- The company is reporting results for the first time in US dollars instead of Swiss francs.
- There were no long queues or flurries of excited bank customers looking to exchange the Luxembourg franc for the euro last week.
- The Luxembourg and Belgian francs are tied to one another in a monetary union in 1921.
- The basic unit of currency is the Comorian franc.
- It trades in the dollar, euro, yen and Swiss francs.
- However, Asian currencies gained slightly as investors dumped the U.S. dollar for currencies such as the Swiss franc and the euro.
- Since he still makes all his calculations in old francs, the euro frightens him.
- The prices helpfully flash up on the board in pounds, dollars, Swiss francs, pesetas and yen.
- Buying euros with sterling will be no different to the way in which we used to buy francs, drachmas and lire.
- When he bought a $5.2 million villa on the French Riviera he asked as an afterthought whether the price was in dollars or Belgian francs.
- So, he bought 10 pounds sterling worth of traveller's cheques and 1,000 French francs.
- The existence of an African franc whose value was pegged to the French franc ensured that the former colonies enjoyed a hard and stable currency and that the French government had a say in their economies.
- In 2002, France will convert from the franc to the euro for all financial transactions.
- Today, the dollar dropped almost 2% against both the Swiss franc and the euro.
- The Swiss franc can be subdivided into hundredths known as Rappen in German, centime in French, centesimo in Italian and rap in Rhaeto-Romanic.
- Against the Swiss franc, the dollar was at 1.2885 francs, down from 1.2949 francs late Thursday.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.