In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in soccer)tiro libre masculinedirect/indirect free kick — tiro libre directo/indirecto masculine
- Under this new ruling match officials would in future award all free kicks at least 30 yards from where the incident took place.
- She demonstrated during the 1999 Women's World Cup her ability to thread a needle with her free kicks.
- He also, perhaps crucially, failed to insist on the Brazilians moving the statutory distance back at free kicks around their own penalty area.
- Worcester Park were then awarded a free kick just outside the area, which was struck home in to the top corner.
- He is an amazing crosser of the ball and passer, and when it comes to free kicks, he can be said to be the best in the world, sometimes.
- He is an expert at dead ball situations and free kicks.
- His ability to cross the ball and pass it over very long distances absolutely astonishes people and his free kicks have keepers simply watching the ball as it storms into the net.
- The Dutchman's free kicks are usually less finely placed than a Beckham or Zidane special but make up for that by the tremendous power he achieves even while looping the ball over a wall.
- Once at Chelsea, we spent all week rehearsing pushing out at free kicks, catching the attacking side offside.
- Whenever there is a free kick he is always o the ball and he can produce magic from nothing.
- A dangerous Kilmarnock attack had been stemmed by the award of a free kick to Motherwell on the edge of the box.
- I saw David Beckham line up the free kick and remarked that this would be a handy time to score.
- His accuracy and power in the free kicks is brilliant, although I think Beckham is better than him.
- He is exceptional at long balls, crossing and at free kicks and has made goals from all over the park for United.
- Charlton were awarded their own free kick, again just inside the opponents' half.
- He certainly is the most confident - whether he is making saves or taking penalties or free kicks.
- It's important for all officials to understand the rules regarding free kicks and to make the right call, not only on the opening kickoff, but on all free kicks.
- He can dribble, he is not afraid to beat men, and of course he can cross, shoot and take free kicks perfectly-what more could you really want from a midfielder?
- I thought we were staring at another defeat when the whistle blew for a free kick to City deep into injury time.
- He was awarded two free kicks but gave none away.
2(in rugby)patada libre feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.