In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(liberty)libertad femininefreedom of speech/religion/the press — libertad de expresión/culto(s)/prensa
- freedom of action/movement — libertad de acción/movimientos
- freedom of movement of labour — libertad de movimiento del trabajo
- freedom of conscience — libertad de conciencia
- At issue are weighty concepts like press freedom, freedom of belief and, of course, human rights.
- These days, in theory, just about everyone in the country has freedom to speak.
- As usual, those in the pay of the pesticide industry presume to speak on behalf of freedom of choice and a balanced approach.
- While York College itself has not taken a stance on the issue, the biologists have academic freedom to speak out, he said.
- The freedom of MPs to speak the truth as they see it has been a jealously protected right in our Westminster system over the centuries.
- Charges of censorship, however, will not impress a country that likes to consider itself a champion of literary freedom.
- They have demanded reforms including free election of the president, a reduction of presidential powers, and freedom of the press.
- Violence or intimidation against the media could hamper press freedom and eventually deprive the public of its right to information.
- We were taken to hear the president speak on religious freedom.
- This is excellent news and a triumph for civil liberty and freedom of choice.
- Fellman won widespread acclaim as an authority in constitutional law and a champion of academic freedom.
- The freedom of scientists to speak out and share their insights is one of the fundamentals of a modern knowledge-based democracy.
- I'm not ignorant to the battle by women to win votes, freedoms and equality.
- The law gives the government the power to restrict freedom of the press and freedom of assembly and to shut down theaters.
- If they can do this so easily then imagine what other freedoms are being compromised.
- The present regime is not very tolerant of academic freedom.
- So many women of my generation take for granted that women had always had our freedoms.
- There is a real political battle on now to defend some of our basic freedoms.
- Our media are a disgrace to the hallowed concept of freedom of the press.
- In recent years, examples of media abuses of press freedom have been common.
1.2(independence, scope)libertad feminineI like the freedom of having a car — me gusta la libertad que te da (tener) un coche
- journalists had complete editorial freedom — los periodistas tenían carta blanca en materia editorial
- the freedom of her prose — lo libre de su prosa
1.3freedom from sth
- the plan guarantees freedom from financial worries — el plan le garantiza un futuro libre de preocupaciones económicas
- its freedom from side effects is unproven — no se ha demostrado si tiene o no tiene efectos secundarios
2.1(frankness)libertad femininedesenvoltura feminineto speak with complete freedom — hablar con toda / plena libertad
- They think that they can make themselves as agreeable to the men as their successful rivals, by adopting the same style and allowing the same freedom of conversation.
- We were surprised to find an openness and freedom between us we hadn't experienced before.
- I talked a great deal to him with the freedom I have long used to him on this and on other subjects.
2.2(familiarity)familiaridad femininehe behaved with too much freedom towards his superiors — trataba a sus superiores con demasiada familiaridad
3(rights of use or access)they gave her the freedom of their house — pusieron la casa a su entera disposición
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.