In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
adjective & adverb
1a mano alzadaa mano libre
- ‘I create them by freehand before transferring the designs to a computer,’ he said.
- With a shape that resembled a crystal formation, the sculpture was surrounded by a freehand drawing showing an aerial view of the city with its jumble of ancient monuments, modern buildings and winding streets.
- In Germany in the sixteenth century the Briefmaler, or print colorist, either used stencils to cover predetermined portions of a print or executed the coloring freehand.
- The intricate work, based on Victorian romantic decoration, was all done freehand using house paint.
- Besides cropping or rotating, you can add text or freehand drawings to your photos, say, to make personalized postcards.
- These pens are perfect for spontaneous freehand sketches as well as ink drawings with precise detail.
- Alluding to the tradition of Chinese landscape painting, these freehand images attempt a clear fluid action, a trusting precision in placement, colour and weight of application of the brush.
- The power of the computer enables them to make intricate geometric shapes quickly and easily that would be extremely difficult - if not impossible - to do freehand.
- Some artists use a stencil to transfer the design to the skin, others draw freehand.
- Photographs and text are supplemented by explanatory freehand sketches by the author which give a clear explanation of the engineering concept of each design.
- They learn by visiting the campus, taking field measurements, making freehand sketches, and documenting their research in digital media.
- Each student then chose one of these thumbnail sketches to enlarge to a predetermined size and drew freehand on a piece of black construction paper.
- Over the years I've learned that warnings written freehand in felt marker, blood, or lipstick carry far more weight than professionally-printed signs.
- The graph has been drawn freehand, with two spidery black lines crawling across white paper.
- He starts by drawing a pen line freehand, something which can only be interpreted as a line of ink.
- Custom tattooing (like freehand drawing without a stencil) is increasingly popular with customers, especially those with multiple tattoos.
- The term refers to freehand brushwork in traditional Chinese painting characterized by vivid expression and bold outlines.
- We're going to work freehand as well as with a few stencils - we might try the idea in the book of using chalk dust, or we may just use the chalks as-is.
- As is characteristic of Johns's graphic work of this time, the drawings feature freehand scribbles, carefully limned curves, erasures and tonal blurring.
- But where normal graffiti is executed freehand and as a one-off, stencil graffiti combines the Pop Art ethos of multiples with an aesthetic that mimics the punchy signage favoured by authority.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.