In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1habichuela femininejudía verde feminine Spainejote masculine Mexicochaucha feminine River Plateporoto verde masculine Chilevainita feminine Venezuela
- It consists of noodles or rice with finely diced French beans, cooked with generous slatherings of soya sauce.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan, pour in the French beans and cook for about 5 minutes.
- My plan for this year's vegetable plot is therefore rather limited, involving lots of legumes - broad beans, runner beans, French beans and climbing French beans.
- This tasty side dish features French beans in a creamy sauce with toasted chestnuts - great as a meatless meal with a salad and soft rolls.
- Add the French beans and fry everything together.
- I have spent a busy summer making jam, cutting up runner beans and French beans for the freezer.
- Jack beans are especially popular in India, where the young pods, which have a flavour like French beans, are eaten.
- I went out in the garden after work today to pick some French beans for dinner - and got 30!
- In the south of England, you can sow them from early April under cover - leave it longer in the north - but the beauty of French beans is that if you don't get round to sowing them then, it's not too late.
- Unfortunately the same could not be said of Jayne's dish - vegetable pancake, filled with spinach, leeks and cream cheese and served with new potatoes, French beans and salad.
- That goes for his broad beans, his French beans, his runner beans, his leeks and his lettuces.
- Try growing climbing French beans, which are less fussy in hot conditions.
- Carry on sowings of quick-maturing crops such as lettuce, radish and French beans.
- Today I've picked 6 French beans and a 1 1/2 pounds of tomatoes.
- Sow maincrop carrots, French beans, lettuces and peas in the vegetable plot.
- Then I ran out of potting compost, so the other half of the dwarf French beans are cooling their heels in the cold frame and having their first experience of a hot and windy day (and not liking it much, I should imagine).
- I have found that climbing and dwarf French beans do not like germinating in some of the soil-less composts.
- In addition to French beans and runner beans, Turner grows a number of Heritage varieties, ideal in an organic garden as they are more resistant to pests than modern beans.
- Among dehydrated vegetables, beans, onion and garlic are important and among frozen vegetables prospects for peas, cauliflower, French beans, baby carrot and okra are bright.
- He took huge delight in his peaches and limes, French beans and peas.
- He said, 'Big business demands small farmers in places like Kenya grow crops like French beans, which aren't normally eaten there.'
- Boil equal quantities of French beans and fresh young haricot beans in salt and water.
- This great recipes combines butternut squash and French beans in special herbs - great with roasted or barbecued meats and poultry.
- All main courses are served with vegetables, which included French beans and carrots, all expertly handled.
- One of these is supplying one of Kenya's leading produce exporters with French beans - grown using far less than the recommended quantities of fertilizer and pesticides.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.