In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Britishhabichuela femininejudía verde feminine Spainejote masculine Mexicochaucha feminine River Plateporoto verde masculine Chilevainita feminine Venezuela
- This tasty side dish features French beans in a creamy sauce with toasted chestnuts - great as a meatless meal with a salad and soft rolls.
- I have spent a busy summer making jam, cutting up runner beans and French beans for the freezer.
- He took huge delight in his peaches and limes, French beans and peas.
- I have found that climbing and dwarf French beans do not like germinating in some of the soil-less composts.
- Try growing climbing French beans, which are less fussy in hot conditions.
- Then I ran out of potting compost, so the other half of the dwarf French beans are cooling their heels in the cold frame and having their first experience of a hot and windy day (and not liking it much, I should imagine).
- This great recipes combines butternut squash and French beans in special herbs - great with roasted or barbecued meats and poultry.
- In the south of England, you can sow them from early April under cover - leave it longer in the north - but the beauty of French beans is that if you don't get round to sowing them then, it's not too late.
- Jack beans are especially popular in India, where the young pods, which have a flavour like French beans, are eaten.
- Carry on sowings of quick-maturing crops such as lettuce, radish and French beans.
- Sow maincrop carrots, French beans, lettuces and peas in the vegetable plot.
- In addition to French beans and runner beans, Turner grows a number of Heritage varieties, ideal in an organic garden as they are more resistant to pests than modern beans.
- Add the French beans and fry everything together.
- My plan for this year's vegetable plot is therefore rather limited, involving lots of legumes - broad beans, runner beans, French beans and climbing French beans.
- I went out in the garden after work today to pick some French beans for dinner - and got 30!
- It consists of noodles or rice with finely diced French beans, cooked with generous slatherings of soya sauce.
- That goes for his broad beans, his French beans, his runner beans, his leeks and his lettuces.
- One of these is supplying one of Kenya's leading produce exporters with French beans - grown using far less than the recommended quantities of fertilizer and pesticides.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan, pour in the French beans and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Boil equal quantities of French beans and fresh young haricot beans in salt and water.
- Unfortunately the same could not be said of Jayne's dish - vegetable pancake, filled with spinach, leeks and cream cheese and served with new potatoes, French beans and salad.
- All main courses are served with vegetables, which included French beans and carrots, all expertly handled.
- He said, 'Big business demands small farmers in places like Kenya grow crops like French beans, which aren't normally eaten there.'
- Among dehydrated vegetables, beans, onion and garlic are important and among frozen vegetables prospects for peas, cauliflower, French beans, baby carrot and okra are bright.
- Today I've picked 6 French beans and a 1 1/2 pounds of tomatoes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.