In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1estudiante de primer año masculinemechón masculine Chile informalmechona feminine Chile informalprimíparo masculine Colombia informalprimípara feminine Colombia informal
- Scholarship recipients include freshers, students currently in third level education and mature students entering college for the first time.
- Everyone is welcome to come along to any of the events except the Safari Night which is for the freshers only.
- University of York freshers are being urged to ‘take it easy’ as they embark on the first week of their higher education career.
- How many freshers, on coming up to uni for the first time have discovered they are the proud possessor of two personalities: the quiet sober and the raucous drunk?
- Arjun, a college fresher was taken to be the happiest boy on earth by his friends during the first week of college.
- Rowers are a very keen band of people, and so during our first week at Oxford all us freshers were gathered together in an upper room and asked if we wanted to join the college rowing team.
- A spokeswoman for St Catz said that, since the foundation of the college, first years and finalists have lived on the same staircase, noting that freshers also take examinations.
- St. Anne's made the claim in the 2003-2004 Oxford Prospectus, published before applications were made by current freshers.
- In three years' time, today's young freshers will be leaving university with a degree certificate in one hand and a letter from their bank manager in the other asking how they're going to pay back their debts.
- The first time he said this - way back when we were freshers at Bristol University - I thought he fancied me and was asking me out on a date.
- The first week at university in the UK is a mad scramble between gap year freshers to earn status as a veteran traveller.
- In my final year many freshers I knew dropped out or really struggled because of financial pressures, especially as the year drew on.
- Over 70% of freshers wore gold ribbons at Matriculation on Saturday in protest against top-up fees.
- But we didn't have to drag anymore logs, as UBSS also supplied a large workforce of freshers that carried the bite-sized logs the chap with the chainsaw supplied.
- This would be much worse if communal breakfast was cancelled, agreed freshers Beki Taylor and Simone de Cassan, as ‘people would definitely not get to meet each other as much’.
- Approximately 10,000 freshers are expected to be leaving their friends and family at home and anxiously beginning a new chapter of their lives at the northern equivalent of Oxford and Cambridge.
- At the school, freshers receive customized technical and non-technical training designed to meet both company and commercial requirements, while keeping market trends in focus.
- One of the lucky freshers even gets an explicit induction into Bay College life across a computer desk.
- So it's no wonder they like to offer plenty of freebies to entice you to open an account just as you go off to university as a fresher.
- It would be nice to have a couple good, original articles to impress and inspire next year's freshers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.