In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Cookingfritoa fried egg — un huevo frito
- fried foods — frituras
- They were simple dishes of fried rice, meat buns, steamed vegetables with beef, and freshly cooked fish.
- After a lunch of fried rice with eggs and peppers, we struck out to meet our elephant transport to another area of the jungle.
- Years of Southern sausage biscuits, fried foods and gravy had done their damage.
- Bake the meat roll in the oven with the tomato juice and the fried butter, after adding some water.
- And steer clear of refined sugars, white flour and fried foods, or at least cut down on them.
- Stay away from fatty foods, fried foods and any junk foods during this time.
- If you want a taste of what the authentic northern dishes are like, try baked bean curd with shrimp roe or the fried vegetables with egg.
- Spicy Thailand fare was spread on the table with steamy sesame rice, hotspurs and fried beef in oyster sauce.
- This is a common ingredient in commercial baked goods and in fried foods like French fries.
- Well, that should give you an idea of the efficiency and appearance of your arteries after a steady diet of fried foods.
- These fats are found in red meat, full-fat dairy products and fried foods.
- She knew her typical meals of cheese sticks or fried foods needed to change to get the figure she wanted.
- Foods high in trans fats include fried foods, cookies, doughnuts and crackers.
- I cut out high-fat fried foods and red meat from my diet and instead filled it with fruits and vegetables.
- Health-conscious people were replacing the fried foods in their diet with cereals.
- We also ate a lot of mysterious crumbed meats accompanied with fried potatoes.
- Avoid foods with a lot of sugar and fat, such as ice cream, gelatin, pudding and fried foods.
- The catchy name was coined when cooks quieted begging dogs by throwing them scraps of fried dough while dinner was prepared.
- Some alternate breakfast foods include boiled manioc, maize porridge, or fried cakes made of rice flour.
- People in the south of India like spicy fried food and often eat rice and curry.
2US informal(exhausted)hecho polvo informalreventado informalfrito informal
- Who has not felt frazzled, fried, and finished at some point during his or her career?
- I went from high school quarterback to fried LSD guy in two years or whatever.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.