In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(close acquaintance)amigo masculineamiga femininea friend of ours/my father('s)/the family — un amigo nuestro/de mi padre/de la familia
- she's no friend of mine — amiga mía no es
- he felt he was among friends — se sentía entre amigos
- they're staying with friends — están en casa de unos amigos
- her many friends — sus muchos amigos
- they've been friends for years — hace años que son amigos
- they're very close friends — son íntimos amigos
- they're the best of friends again — están de lo más amigos otra vez
- (said by children) I'm not friends with you any more! — ya no juego / no me junto más contigo
- he doesn't make friends easily — le cuesta hacer amigos
- he soon made friends with her/the other boys — en poco tiempo se hizo amigo suyo/de los otros niños
- they shook hands and made friends — se dieron la mano e hicieron las paces
- to make a friend of sb — ganarse la amistad de algn
- we're just good friends — solo somos amigos
- (set phrase) with friends like that, who needs enemies? — con amigos así ¿quién necesita enemigos?
- that's what friends are for — para eso están los amigos
- any friend of yours is a friend of mine — tus amigos son mis amigos
- who goes there: friend or foe? — ¿quién vive?
- the dog is man's best friend — el perro es el mejor amigo del hombre
- my (right) honourable friend — mi respetable colega
- friend with benefits — amigo con ventaja
- a friend in need is a friend indeed — en las malas se conoce a los amigos
- Those were moments not to be missed, as so many relatives and family friends were present.
- The sincere sympathy of the community is extended to her family, relatives and friends on their loss.
- Glenn nearly destroyed my future and relationships with friends and family.
- Gerry celebrated the occasion with his family and close friends and a great night was had by all.
- Rowly, as he was known to almost everyone, was a close friend to the Kennedy family.
- On the second day, we went to visit a couple of family friends and a relative who are in mourning.
- He has been slowly rebuilding his life with the help of close friends and family.
- Make an effort to cultivate effective relationships with family, friends and colleagues
- He will be remembered with much affection by his family and close friends.
- I just don't put enough effort into my relationships with my friends and family.
- He rendered a couple of poems to applause from the audience, most of whom were his friends and relatives.
- Their home was a very happy place, which family, relatives and friends loved to visit.
- NASA permits astronauts to take some souvenirs for their family and close friends.
- This recipe comes from a close friend of mine with whom I worked when I was living in London.
- They can also supplement an existing home care arrangement provided by family or close friends.
- Family, relations and friends can be a source of help and comfort.
- Jason was joined by family relatives and friends for a celebration party in Fallon's Bar.
- Many estate owners do not have family or friends whom they can confidently nominate in their estate plan.
- You stay with close friends and family and treasure a cozy feeling at home.
- A lucky minority were housed with relatives or family friends who were already established in the UK.
1.2(supporter)amigo masculineamiga femininethe Friends of Kingston Hospital — la Asociación de Amigos del Hospital de Kingston
- Written by Elizabeth, chair of the Friends, it is the result of four years of teamwork by the committee.
- But it might not now happen for another year, a member of Friends of East Park fears.
- There is also an appeal for anyone who might join the Friends of St Andrew's.
- The new Hospital Garden, provided by the Friends this year, is being well used by patients.
- The Friends of St Mary's Church was set up in 1998 to raise money to maintain the church.
- The Friends of Healey Dell fear the move could put local wildlife at risk.
- The Friends of Imber Church feel let down.
- The building's owners have now offered the Friends the opportunity to buy the Winter Gardens.
- Mr Ritchie said the Friends would continue to campaign for a year round ban.
- Mrs Marigold Hibbert is a Friend of St Mary's Hospital in a small northern town.
- Chairman of the Friends of the Museum and borough councillor John McCloy does not see a problem.
- All funds raised from the event will assist the work of the Friends of the Koala.
- Volunteers from the Friends of the Heritage Centre will also man the building.
- He also met representatives of English Heritage and spoke to some of the Friends of Victoria Baths.
- The Friends of Roberts Park are currently looking at projects we can tackle.
- He says the other way he hopes some of the Friends would be able to assist is through fundraising.
- The Friends will also be at the Dounby show to drum up some more support.
- Krause maintains that not everyone joins the Friends or stays a member for the same reason.
- Part of the funds raised by the sale of the book will be donated to the Friends of St Peter's Church.
- He also said the work was carried out after consulting the Friends of Rochdale Cemetery and visitors.
1.3euphemistic (lover)amigo masculine euphemisticamiga feminine euphemistic
2FriendReligioncuáquero masculinecuáquera femininethe Society of Friends — la Sociedad de los Amigos
- At the Society of Friends, he would put his arm around newcomers and encourage them into the group.
1agregar (a) amigosagregar (a) contactos
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.