In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
(on cake)baño masculine→ cake
- Cookies that have been frosted with a butter cream type frosting cannot be stacked.
- I lick the frosting off, waiting for him to speak.
- The following morning, I added chocolate frosting and slapped aluminum foil on top.
- She iced it with a boiled caramel frosting - nothing ever tasted so good.
- We scraped our plates; we licked our fingers; and we sliced apple cake and spooned on extra frosting.
- "Thanks, " I said, licking some frosting from my finger.
- No, one year there was a pound cake with no frosting and one big candle in the middle.
- The brownie was thick, and covered in chocolate frosting.
- Remove cookies from oven, and cool completely before decorating with colored frosting (recipe below).
- I don't like frosting unless it's the kind that is like pudding.
- I like to buy different colored frosting in tubes that come with the different tips ready to attach and frost.
- When the cake was done, it was decorated with white frosting drizzled down the sides.
- And that's not including the fact that I am carrying a really nice chocolate cake with vanilla frosting.
- The creamy caramel frosting wonderfully caps off these tender spicy cupcakes.
- For the frosting, place the chocolate in a medium bowl and set aside.
- I look up and see Christina, crying loudly, covered in frosting and punch.
- It was a chocolate cake with white frosting and candied cherries on top.
- Cakes are purchased from local supermarkets whose ideas of frosting include two primary ingredients… sugar and vegetable shortening.
- We covered it in frosting and sprinkles and they ate it anyway.
- He grinned and held up his fingers, which were covered in chocolate cake frosting.
(of sugar)glaseado masculine
- Using the stencil with frosting varnish for glass at £7.95, the varnish can be tinted to create your own stained glass effect.
- A sweeping, swirl of baby ostrich down, rather like piped icing on an art nouveau birthday cake, contrasted the material's shine with soft, matt frosting.
- Naughty boys Ferdinand and Steve took it upon themselves to strip the frosting off the shower door - something which proved to be the highlight of yesterday's Big Brother action.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.