In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Both are at one with a certain instinct of frugality, by which I do not mean meanness.
- My frugality is still moderate by Scottish standards, though.
- His frugality and thrift were particularly notorious.
- ‘We learned our frugality from my mother,’ he explains.
- Departing from his predecessor's frugality, he provided lavish games for the Romans to enjoy, and abolished the sales tax.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.