In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
ensalada de frutas, gen en gelatina
- She served fresh milk, introduced wholemeal pasta and fresh fruit salad, and baked her own flapjacks and crumbles with oats, sunflower seeds and locally grown apples.
- Coconut pancake, dates with sesame wantons, fresh fruit salad and ice-creams are displayed adjacent to the buffet table.
- It's served with a tropical fruit salad on the side.
- The ripe flesh can be served in a fruit salad, or with ice cream; or sections of it can be stewed with sugar and lime juice and conserved.
- They only had fruit salad and chocolate mousse for dessert.
- Grace watched the group interact from where she was serving herself some fruit salad and suddenly wasn't very hungry.
- Other options include fruit salad, light biscuit sweetmeat, ice cream, or doughnuts.
- Desserts offered were a chocolate torte, fresh fruit salad (great, not too many apple slices) and a hot concoction of a light sponge topped with apple and blackberries that had a crunchy crumble thin layer on top.
- The usual suspects are on parade for dessert, with a line-up including pancakes, ice-cream, fruit salad and banana flambé.
- For dessert the choice is limited to pancakes, creme caramel or fruit salad.
- Pudding lovers looking for something full of eastern promise might be disappointed though: the desserts on offer were profiteroles, fruit salad and tiramisu - all at £2.95.
- Nevertheless, with plenty of fresh fruit salad for dessert, you can certainly fill up healthily for $6.95.
- For pudding, I had fruit salad with custard.
- For dessert there were cheesecake, ice cream, cream cake, fruit salad, and napoleons.
- My housekeeper stocks the fridge with fruit salad, fresh orange juice, meat and salad, but I suppose that's pretty boring.
- And my simple little dinner (tomato soup, roast leg of lamb with roast potatoes and canned beans, followed by fresh fruit salad and ice cream) did go down well.
- Popular desserts were trifle, fruit salad and traditional Christmas pudding, often made wrapped in a cloth and boiled in the copper.
- Tonight: smoked salmon salad with lemon and mint dressing, followed by fresh fruit salad, all home-made, of course.
- You use the champagne as you would a stock syrup in a fruit salad, to let the purée down but without adding extra sweetness.
- I don't know what that's all about but I've seen the same fruit salad served in vastly different places.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.