In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1sartén femininesartén masculine Latin America
- Who would have thought garlic choppers, spatulas and no-stick frying pans could make the world a better place?
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and cook the veal over a high heat on both sides until golden brown.
- In a large frypan or wok, cook the onion in oil until soft.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and gently cook the leeks until softened.
- In a small frying pan, cook the spring onions cut diagonally in a mixture of butter and olive oil.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and cook the sausage over low heat for 8 mins each side.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a frying pan or wok until smoking and add the squash.
- Brown the chicken pieces in the oil and butter in a frying pan, adding garlic and seasoning.
- Some families ate a lot of fried food, but there were no electric frypans.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large frypan or wok over medium high heat.
- Heat butter in a frypan and sauté leeks until soft.
- Heat two frying pans - each with 1 tbsp oil - until very hot.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, and cook the salmon skinside down for 5 min until crisp.
- In fact, any decent frying pan can turn out a good omelette, especially if it has a nonstick coating.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and fry the sausage chunks until golden brown and just cooked.
- Heat half the olive oil in a frying pan and cook the fish and prawns on all sides until they change colour.
- Before long, she had eggs and mixing bowls, bacon and frying pans, skillets and wire whisks all out on the kitchen counter.
- A good quality frypan that you can heat up high and sear meat on is a tasty quick way to cook lamb.
- Brown each of the chicken breasts in a frypan and then transfer to the oven on an ovenproof tray.
- Black iron frying pans are notorious for sticking with items such as fish and eggs and the pan has to be seasoned before use.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.