In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masculine combustiblemasculine combustiblemasculine carburanteto add fuel to the flames / fire — echar leña al fuego
- before noun fuel crisis — crisis energética
- fuel policy — política energética
- They are also well versed in the characteristics of fuels available for home heating such as wood, gas and oil.
- Natural gas is the cleanest burning fossil fuel, producing mostly just water vapor and carbon dioxide.
- Burning fossil fuels is the main way humans add greenhouse gases to the environment.
- For US Airways, rising fuel costs essentially canceled out the airline's labor cuts.
- Adding liquid fuel could result in a flash fire.
- Biodiesel is a cleaner burning fuel that can be made from domestic renewable resources such as vegetable oil.
- The salt mine is one of more than 500 fleets using biodiesel fuel.
- As around half of Australia's primary energy is derived from coal, a better alternative could be the production of liquid fuels from coal using the South African Sasol processes.
- However, the solid rocket fuel was only produced in Germany and the Nazis had banned its export.
- Soot is a product of incomplete combustion, especially of diesel fuels, biofuels, coal and outdoor biomass burning.
- The main imports are raw materials, petroleum-based fuels, and consumer goods.
- On September 5, truckers in France mounted nationwide blockades in protest against high diesel fuel prices.
- The afterburner flames had ignited the fuel being dumped.
- We can burn these fuels as power, for automobiles, aircraft, and so forth.
- If we burn a fossil fuel like coal, the tax is $15 per tonne.
- Almost all of the fuels used for transportation and the majority of the fuels used for heat and electricity come from petroleum products.
- With high diesel fuel prices, selling close to home is important.
- What's more, Northwest didn't attribute the fare increase to rising fuel costs.
- In 50 years' time there will be very little in the way of fuels to heat, cool, light and power the homes of a rising population, in Australia and worldwide.
- They burn methanol fuel and need to get push started.
- And, even if it is not solely by Shakespeare, at least this production will add merry fuel to the debate.
- What happened in Bali sickens me - and not only because of the appalling suffering and loss of life, but because of the way it added spurious fuel to the cause of the warmongers.
- The wider gap could add fuel to a long-term debate swirling around when modern human behavior, as opposed to modern human anatomy, emerged.
- A lukewarm attitude of the government is sure to add fuel to the uneasiness of the people when the sales of imported American beef have been virtually suspended.
- That passion is the emotional fuel driving the cognitive process.
- But her birthplace has probably helped fuel her passion for things tropical.
- Hate, preached from street corners and rogue lecterns is fuel for the internal fires of dissatisfaction in receptive, conditioned brains.
- The links to the military and to the drug trade have been fuel for critics of a $1.6 billion anti-narcotics aid package that is being debated in Washington.
- And this gives a lot of fuel to those arguments, and it's really heartbreaking.
- Recent ruling adds new fuel to debate over cross-burning in public places
- It adds fuel to the debate about whether his home city of York should be celebrating the devastating plot.
- This rage is fuel for Islamic fundamentalism and terror.
- Christian proselytizing is fuel for Muslim fundamentalists, but it is also a source of uneasiness between the pope and some of his more moderate and like-minded religious peers.
- The latest record by the David Lowery-led Cracker adds fuel to the argument that Americans don't understand irony.
- This clear flaunting of Islamic law by displaying pictures of scantily clad women will only add fuel to sentiments that the U.S. is trying to undermine Muslim culture in Iraq.
- Meanwhile, the controversial sales add fuel to a growing international debate over who owns stolen artifacts.
- And it's likely to add fuel to the controversy about games and violence.
- Although neither my friends nor myself ever owned one, these toy robots were fuel for the imagination.
- They are experienced enough to know how timing and careful selection of language can add fuel to inflamed prejudices.
- His comments are certain to add fuel to the already fiery debate between councils and the Government over urban planning in the region.
1(provide fuel for)(plane/ship) abastecer de combustible(stove/furnace) alimentar
2(stimulate)(hope/passion) alimentar(debate) avivar(fear) exacerbar
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.