In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(photograph/portrait/mirror) de cuerpo entero(dress/skirt) largoa full-length feature film — un largometraje
- Berber men in Kabylia wore a burnous, a full-length cloak worn with a hood, woven out of very fine white or brown wool.
- So the owner of the shop goes in back and comes out with an absolutely gorgeous full-length coat.
- Ter Borch's later full-length portraits depict sitters with reserved yet confident postures.
- In fact, it was replaced by white walls, a wooden table and a full-length mirror.
- Ladies who fear show day will be wet could do worse than try a waterproof three-quarter or full-length jacket with a caped shoulder and fully lined in country check by Target Dry.
- She wore a full-length white night gown, a fabric made translucent by the moon and low bedside lamp and creating a perfect silhouette of her form underneath.
- I didn't even have a full-length mirror in my flat at that stage.
- The bride wore a full-length gown of white brocade with shoulder length veil and tiara.
- She looked into her full-length mirror and studied herself.
- He was wearing a black or dark coloured full-length coat, jeans and a sweatshirt at the time of the attack.
- So the stainless steel sculpture ended up in a more traditional full-length gown.
- Besides a king-size bed with white sheets, a wooden table and a full-length mirror by the side of the bed, there was simply nothing else in the room.
- In a showroom dominated by a full-length mirror and vast photos of his clothes from the pages of Vogue, we drank endless cups of herbal tea, while Gibb and Bates smoked a chain of cigarettes.
- I don't seem to have any kind of realistic body image and almost never enjoy what I see in a full-length mirror.
- I had a long, hard look at myself in the full-length mirror this morning.
- She always wore flowery, full-length skirts with a cotton blouse.
- Woollen kilts, Hessian full-length skirts, single shoulder organza tops and transparent trousers appear in earthy tones of brown and green.
- Yet now and then you feel the tug, standing in front of a full-length mirror, fantasizing about cannonball shoulders and chiseled biceps.
- Twomey, who had bought the full-length coat in Brown Thomas, said it was worth between €450 and €550.
- Sarah stood in front of the full-length mirror and gazed at herself.
- She picked up the full-length mirror next to her and threw it at me.
- If you decide to stay, dress appropriately in non-synthetic full-length clothing, and sturdy leather boots.
- While the book uses mostly evocative narrative images as its illustrations, it also includes a handful of full-length portraits.
- Ladies of the dominion dressed in full-length gowns that touched the floor.
- The Government really should issue a full-length mirror to every home in the nation, and enshrine its use in legislation.
- I glanced down at myself, my tan sweater and black full-length skirt.
- Despite the sweltering heat, he was wearing trousers and a full-length shirt.
- Let's face it; the quick look you take in the full-length mirror outside the changing room is not always the best judge.
- She was standing looking at her body in the full-length mirror through the steam of the filling bath when she heard the steady snipping of garden shears.
- Point being, we sadly did not have time during this brief pre-London Bridge exchange to ask why she was carrying with her a slim, wood-backed full-length mirror.
- She put it all on and looked into a full-length mirror.
- Queen Victoria, Prince Albert and mad George III were also on hand, although only in full-length portrait form.
- The addition of full-length curtains, soft furnishings and cushions will go some way to reducing noise levels.
- However, the female bathrooms are more carefully designed with full-length mirrors, seats and rolled hand towels.
- Keep in mind that a full-length jacket should fall around the lower level of your shins, which is perfect for those colder winter days.
- Colorful, full-length skirts are worn with delicately embroidered white blouses, sometimes worn off the shoulder.
- In addition to these were full-length portraits of the Duke and Duchess of Cumberland, showing that Gainsborough was attracting patronage from the royal family.
- He is dressed in a Crombie full-length coat and is brandishing a sharpened steel comb.
- It also means passengers can travel light on long-haul flights and don't cram cabins with suits or full-length dresses.
- Although his full-length robe includes a priestly high collar, he is without the flowing cloak which was a feature of Jesuit priestly dress.
1he lay full-length on the floor — estaba tendido en el piso cuan largo era
- As we approached the levelling-out stage she prepared to move forward, tripped and fell full length.
- At the other end James Regan dived full length to keep out a Neil Chambers effort in the 31st.
- We have the futon unfolded, and we're lying full length, with our heads propped up on cushions.
- Liam O'Malley came to his sides rescue when he went full length to block a shot on the line from John Dyra.
- Dabizas missed the ball which gave Speed, unmarked, an extra second to fling himself full length at the ball.
- I fell, at great speed, full length on to the pavement and damaged my face badly.
- The lengths ran randomly from the sill to the second floor girt or full length to the roof girt.
- He struck it well but the agile Tony Lyons dived full length to turn it around the post for a forty five.
- Eanuth saw this coming and rose towards the sky stretching his wings to full length.
- All year long you've dreamed of having the time to dive full length into a series of good books.
- Hurst was called into action as early as the third minute, diving full length to deny James Hughes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.