In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- There's a variety of mushrooms and other fungi about too, for the budding amateur mycologist.
- Bacteria, fungi and plants synthesize pantothenate, but animals obtain it from their diet.
- Filamentous ascomycete fungi have nearly twice as many genes and are much more typical higher fungi than yeasts.
- The best thing to do with old cherry trunks is to let them lie in the woods, rotting down to feed fungi and invertebrates.
- The combination of air and wet silage and heat make an ideal environment for yeasts and fungi to multiply.
- It may be less well known that ethylene is also produced naturally by bacteria and fungi.
- Carotenoid pigments are synthesized by all higher plants, algae, and some bacteria and fungi.
- The funguses in which penicillin was discovered use it to kill bacteria which might compete with them for food.
- So-called sour rot is due to a mix of fungi, yeasts, acetic acid bacteria, and fruit fly larvae.
- Active sodium export is a well-investigated phenomenon in bacteria, fungi and animals.
- Bacteria and fungi are largely responsible for the breakdown of organic matter on Earth.
- As mycorrhizal fungi can extend for some distance out from the plant root, this region can be significant.
- Endophytic bacteria and fungi act both as growth promoters and as biocontrol agents.
- Now I've got to tell you I'm no expert in mushrooms toadstools and fungi in general.
- Sulphate assimilation is present in plants, algae, fungi, and many autotrophic prokaryotes.
- In season, a wider variety of fungi, including chanterelles, is perfect.
- Data about antioxidative systems in mycorrhizal fungi in pure culture and in symbiosis are scarce.
- One side was fence, the other a swamp, a mire skewered by rotting birch trunks bracketed by hard tinder fungi.
- Jasmonic acid is likely to occur ubiquitously in the plant kingdom, and it has also been found in some fungi.
- The ring is caused by one of several fungi that grow on organic matter in the soil.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.