In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1oso marino masculine
- The biggest fight we observed was between a male fur seal and a male penguin.
- I was particularly pleased to have seen some species of wildlife that do not venture as far north as the Falklands, such as the Antarctic fur seal and wandering albatross.
- It's home to the threatened southern elephant seal, the fur seal, two species of albatross and several species of, yes, penguin.
- Within a hundred years, industrial hunters and fishermen devastated the populations of sea otters, fur seals and whales.
- Living in Cape Town I am lucky to have white sharks, southern right whales, Cape fur seals, and African penguins on my doorstep.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.