- ‘I spoke to fusiliers whose parents live in Halifax Road, Whitworth and Spotland,’ he said.
- The chorus of noblewomen and fusileers is unbalanced in quality, but luckily perked up after the intermission to help put in place an entertaining finale.
- Mann, whose remarks at the funeral of fusilier Gordon Gentle made headlines around the world, admitted he had been closely involved in the anti-war movement in his native US before moving to Scotland earlier this year.
- Significantly, the route he has chosen will mirror that taken by his late father, Fred, who was a fusilier in World War Two.
- The fusilier added that his family had been anxious about his possible deployment in Iraq since he received his call up notice in October, but they were supportive and proud of his role as a reservist.
- Southern-based Irish regiments of fusiliers, such as the Dublins and Munsters, and the Connaught Rangers, were disbanded in the early 1920s when the Irish Free State was founded.
- Larkin left Oldham 10 years ago to see the world, signing up for a life in the army, joining the legendary fusiliers and rising from private to lance corporal, serving in both Europe and the Middle East.
- One of the most moving experiences for me was going to Arras in France, to the re-interment of two fusiliers who had died in World War I. The corpses had been found as a result of the War Graves Commission; there're still many people missing.
- The fusiliers drive with a practised authority, zigzagging, never contravening each other's line of fire. The top-cover soldiers swivel with their rifles to their shoulders, eyes pressed to the sights.
- A 21-year-old fusilier with the Lancashire Regiment, Norman had only been in France a little over eight weeks when he found himself, along with tens of thousands of his comrades, hemmed in on the beaches at Dunkirk.
- In the back is a group of Welsh fusiliers, and here's me, a ragged scarecrow creature from the swamp, an image from a schlock nightmare.
- The next layer up are the yellow-tailed fusiliers and the next the yellow-banded fusiliers.