In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(attempt/effort) inútil(effort/attempt) vano(suggestion/question) trivial(question/suggestion) fútilasking/trying is futile — es en vano / es inútil preguntar/intentarlo
- I glanced carelessly at the door, in a futile attempt to change the subject.
- It will be futile and fruitless, but at least it will voice my opinion and ease some of my frustrations.
- You shift from one leg to the other, but know that that is a fairly futile attempt to relieve your discomfort.
- Tourism should not be allowed to become another football for the tiresome and futile political arena.
- I am sorry that I missed my chance this evening to register my protest, futile though it would have been.
- Although residents put up pockets of resistance, their attempts were largely futile.
- A lack of evidence in absence of harm cannot be interpreted as useless or futile.
- It is futile because we cannot fully join the ranks and chase what is called the American Dream.
- So it's a futile effort to try to climb up to God, which is why he sent his son to be our savior.
- His men made repeated but ultimately futile attempts to retrieve his body from no-man's land.
- Worrying over the results after the exam is a futile exercise as you cannot alter the result.
- She is given a terminal diagnosis and told treatment is futile by a consultant as soon as the results are revealed.
- If the West's behaviour is futile, it is because the tide of history is against it.
- I could get so accustomed to his company, which is futile since he heads away late next week.
- All attempts to coax him to play with educational toys proved painful and futile.
- Such is the nature of journalism and it is perhaps futile to bemoan it.
- Everyone could sense it was futile, but at least for half an hour they got a chance at some semblance of competition.
- They do not show an act of suicide but an attempt, however futile, to escape death.
- Therefore, the whole political campaign against the extreme right is futile.
- Resistance was futile, and over time many grew to love their new mechanical master.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.