In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Unfortunately, this site's promoters have decided not to dispense with the gabby guide who makes these boat trips such a pain in cities all over the world.
- Your gabby cousin, who happens to be standing right next to the buffet table, begins to talk your ear off.
- Unfortunately, truth serum, first used on spies in World War II, makes suspects gabby but not necessarily truthful.
- Without getting all politically gabby, has there been somebody you've experienced first-hand where you were just completely floored by what a lunatic they were?
- My interest in Manchester's bands and their gabby, glib boss was minimal, but this is a gleefully rambunctious trip to a manky heart of darkness, with guns, deaths and prodigious amounts of drugs.
- As befits the trade, antique dealers are gabby and knowledgeable and prone to bemoaning that things aren't what they used to be.
- Some readers may feel patronised, too: the novel's sprawl and large cast of gabby narrators mean that we're nudged over and over with key points of plot, history or polemic, in case we missed them the first time.
- Though you don't mind adding a few missing details you may have overheard, you're generally not the gabby type.
- At a recent London show, armed with no more than a backwoods beard, an acoustic guitar and an amazing voice, he silenced a room full of gabby, gossipy music-biz types, which is no mean feat.
- How did Britain become so gabby and in-your-face?
- You sense it did not want to be some over the top trash classic about gabby gay gadflies cruising for fun in Chi-town.
- Somewhere along the way, getting gabby on the field became a sin in the NFL's eyes, and I just don't understand why.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.