In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1chica femininemuchacha feminineguys and gals — chicos y chicas
- Pedal pushers and prom queens, floral corsages and full skirts, gingham checks and clinched waists - all were the essence of Fifties style, of a time when girls were gals and boys were teddies.
- If your sister is a bell-bottoms and crop-tops kind of a gal, try wearing dresses for a change.
- A lot of other guys, and gals from school are going to be there too.
- It's a tough problem - especially for gals - that doesn't get talked about much.
- It was an endless procession of loin-cloth strapped lads and gals.
- As a city gal who usually dates younger guys, she found that the high quotient of divorced fathers living quiet lives in the country or suburbs made connecting tough.
- Even more troubling, what does it mean that we find the very idea that feminism might have reached beyond the gals and dames to be so inconceivable?
- Usually, it's just me and the gals, and we do gossip and girl stuff.
- If Augusta did decide to admit women, which is fine by me, it's safe to say the guys would play with guys and gals with gals, like they do everywhere else.
- Curly-haired girls want straight hair; straight-haired gals want curly hair.
- I've emailed the gal but haven't seen a change on her site yet.
- Call me sentimental, but I'm going to miss the old gal.
- I remained close with the new gals until high school, when our communication slowly dissipated.
- Hot on the fast lane to stardom, the young guys and gals are wracking brains, boggling minds.
- I was too much of a tomboy, the gal that all the guys loved.
- What I need is something custom designed for a gal and her dogs.
- Why is it okay for dudes to flirt with all kinds of gals but when a gal does it they think we're hooches?
- Young guys and gals in sparkling evening wear added a dash of charm.
- The gals sit at a designated table (in my case, designated by a number on my name badge), and the guys move from table to table, talking to each woman for a set amount of time - five minutes in this case.
- But I did meet a couple of hot local gals (sisters at that!) and had fun trying to work one of the staff for a date, I would say it is worth a visit but would not make it my prime destination.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.