In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Britishjamón fresco masculine
- There isn't much on the menu but judging by my gammon steak and chips what is offered is pretty good.
- Angered by what she felt was misleading labelling, she called them and was told the firm had not been able to source enough local gammon so had supplemented supplies with Danish meat.
- For the main course, Mike couldn't resist gammon steak, eggs and chips and he wasn't disappointed.
- But any piece of boiling ham or gammon will work well.
- He recommends matching it with roast duck, coq-au-vin or baked gammon.
- Fried bread, potatoes, mushrooms, fancy jams, and regional frills such as porridge, black pudding, laverbread, or gammon are provided at the discretion of the proprietor.
- My partner opted for the escalope of gammon, which was served with fried egg - although you can choose pineapple - chips and vegetables.
- If there is leftover gammon ham, lamb shank, or roast meat around, he suggests you shred it finely and add at the last minute, for the best of all possible borschts.
- I was seized by a ravenous appetite in the middle of my house-cleaning today and decided to satisfy it by tripping down to one of the local eateries for gammon and chips with all the trimmings.
- I asked for roast honey glazed gammon and had a couple of good thick slices.
- Twelve ounce steaks are available, as are moussaka, deep fried scampi and gammon steaks, as well as a choice of reasonably-priced burgers and kebabs.
- Half an hour later, I left laden with gammon steaks, beefburgers, bacon, a side of beef, poultry, a bag of aubergines and two dozen eggs - all from local producers.
- There has been a glimmer of reaction to the militant protests of our pig producers and, thankfully, the armed forces are in future to procure all their pork, bacon and gammon from UK producers.
- An ‘old school’ professional butcher, Norman cures his own gammon, and makes all his own pies and sausages.
- We popped into the Frogshole Farm, asked the barman for the usual, and had two fine gammon steaks bestowed upon us.
- Chicken goujons, sausage rolls and turkey gammon roasts are soon to go the way of spaghetti hoops in Hampshire's school kitchens: they will be kicked off the menu.
- The day's specials included a sweet and sour dish and gammon steak.
- Brush the gammon steaks with oil, sprinkle over the pepper and grill for about 5 minutes on each side.
- ‘In the menu, we've got things like terrine of gammon, with a fried quail's egg and spiced pineapple pickle,’ he said.
- My gammon steak was very thick and moist and the large cut chips were not soggy (despite a good dousing in the vinegar).
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.