In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1hampabefore noun gangland boss — capo del hampa
- gangland murder — asesinato del mundo del hampa
- If not, it will only be a matter of time before there are gangland killings on our doorstep.
- The criminal cases connected to Victoria's gangland murders have never been short of drama.
- Eleven people have already been questioned and released without charge in connection with this gangland murder.
- The swoop on gangland counterfeiters followed a pre-Euro 2004 intelligence operation.
- The murder comes after a lull in the number of gangland shootings and killings in the past few months.
- In Melbourne there have been twenty four gangland killings, the last half-dozen amid the general public.
- He had no criminal convictions or known gangland connections.
- Crime is falling, gangland criminals are on the back foot and more Gardai are on the beat than ever before.
- He is still waiting to release the Irish gangland movie Gangs of New York.
- Of an estimated 17 gangland killings this past year, five were in Limerick.
- The murders of police officers and Serbian gangland criminals share similar characteristics.
- Two weeks after the minister had spun out hope for a new thrust against gangland bloodshed, the killings only steadily increased.
- According to its annual report, achievements by the NCS included an increase in the number of alleged gangland bosses arrested.
- Missing from his home for four days, he was the 17th victim of gangland crime this year.
- What's more, Leo's gangland boss has his own plans for his top employee.
- The problem in 2003 wasn't the general level of crime but the ongoing gangland murders.
- There have been two gangland killings in Cork in the past seven years.
- It was June 1995 and the first of 10 gangland killings in as many months.
- They have been provided with the type of new identities and false life histories normally reserved for spies and gangland informers.
- The gangland boss suffered a heart attack in Broadmoor at the age of 61 and died in Wexham Park Hospital a couple of days later.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.