In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(with masculine article in the singular) hampa femininebefore noun gangland boss — capo del hampa masculine
- gangland murder — asesinato del mundo del hampa
- Crime is falling, gangland criminals are on the back foot and more Gardai are on the beat than ever before.
- There have been two gangland killings in Cork in the past seven years.
- The gangland boss suffered a heart attack in Broadmoor at the age of 61 and died in Wexham Park Hospital a couple of days later.
- What's more, Leo's gangland boss has his own plans for his top employee.
- The problem in 2003 wasn't the general level of crime but the ongoing gangland murders.
- He is still waiting to release the Irish gangland movie Gangs of New York.
- Two weeks after the minister had spun out hope for a new thrust against gangland bloodshed, the killings only steadily increased.
- He had no criminal convictions or known gangland connections.
- Of an estimated 17 gangland killings this past year, five were in Limerick.
- The murder comes after a lull in the number of gangland shootings and killings in the past few months.
- Eleven people have already been questioned and released without charge in connection with this gangland murder.
- If not, it will only be a matter of time before there are gangland killings on our doorstep.
- In Melbourne there have been twenty four gangland killings, the last half-dozen amid the general public.
- The murders of police officers and Serbian gangland criminals share similar characteristics.
- The criminal cases connected to Victoria's gangland murders have never been short of drama.
- They have been provided with the type of new identities and false life histories normally reserved for spies and gangland informers.
- According to its annual report, achievements by the NCS included an increase in the number of alleged gangland bosses arrested.
- Missing from his home for four days, he was the 17th victim of gangland crime this year.
- It was June 1995 and the first of 10 gangland killings in as many months.
- The swoop on gangland counterfeiters followed a pre-Euro 2004 intelligence operation.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.