In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The boxer may have been killed by gangsters because he was cooperating with a police investigation into a murder.
- I had read a lot about Mumbai gangsters, even seen movies made on them, but had never met one.
- The documentary, Gangster, considers how deprived communities look to gangsters for protection.
- Before that he'd been an actor, often on radio, playing gangsters who got a violent comeuppance.
- In fact, many people believe gangsters and hoodlums are vicious and violent by nature.
- Bandits and gangsters do not on the whole give money to schools and hospitals.
- The new father was a former boss of a Chinese triad gang, and all his fellow gangsters were bound to show up.
- As for his other wars: they had saved Sierra Leone from a gang of gangsters.
- The McLean gang member said the gangster had used Customs to clear the way for his own criminal activities.
- Violence hangs in the air all around, with drug dealers, gangsters and street gangs combining to form a ring of terror.
- After too many movies about New York gangsters, the suggestion that life in the city could be anything but corrupt is foolish.
- Suspected gangsters have been shackled by new laws designed to curb hoodlum behaviour.
- It has been claimed he was murdered by everyone from the security services to Dutch gangsters.
- She must be the only person in the UK unaware of the gun crime, perpetrated by Yardie gangsters in our major cities.
- Great crimes can also be committed by gangsters and petty criminals - if they have the necessary power.
- They are wannabe gangsters in a wannabe gangster film that just doesn't work.
- Thus begins an intense race between the police and the gangsters to capture the shadowy man behind the murders.
- We think they are criminals in shell suits, they think we are gun-toting gangsters.
- Northern Ireland is full of filthy rich gangsters using terrorism to generate their empires.
- Born in the city of Ulawood, his parents were killed by gangsters when he was only five years old.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.