In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(around calf, thigh)liga feminine
- Not for nothing is Alastair clad in the finest cloth, his plaid trimmed in gold, his stockings tied with silk garters.
- Suave and a touch oily, the magician, all in black with a red-lined cape and red cummerbund, passes his hoop around a young woman in a black corset, garters and stockings who levitates within a shaft of light.
- The stockings were held up with dark green garters at my knee.
- She wore cream colored stockings held up with garters from her corset.
- To complement all of this, Cinders carries a wonderful range of accessories, shoes, veils, tiaras, feathers, stockings and garters.
- In the practice room, Kirby had changed into a satin corset with garters that held up ivory stockings.
- I'm also wearing a blue garter around my left thigh.
- You can eat in a lovely little garden lit by fairy lights; the food's served by Thai waitresses, who wear long silk skirts but have pistols in their garters.
- Common gifts were jewels, gloves, silk stockings, flowers, garters, handkerchiefs, and paperweights.
- Sheridan said: ‘This is the 21st century and we have got people running about in garters and tights and that just doesn't fit with the modern world.
- Underneath the skirt were two garters that were attached to a lace band around each leg, and she wore two gold bands similar to the ones she wore now, only more ornate, on her wrists.
- Olivia could only laugh as she hooked her stockings onto the garters.
- Do not wear stretch socks, nylon socks, socks with an elastic band or garter at the top, or socks with inside seams.
- A wireless transmitter is strapped in a garter to my inner thigh and a video rig is micro-contained inside horn-rimmed glasses.
- The tall blonde lifted her skirts to reveal a small pistol fitted to her garter.
- Then they rolled up the thigh high stockings and connected them to the garters.
1.2US (on belt, girdle)liga feminine
1.3(around arm)liga feminine
- He had a handle bar mustache and still wore garters on his sleeves.
2(in UK)the Order/a Knight of the Garter — la orden de/un caballero de la orden de la Jarretera
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.