In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Health experts have yet to identify the cause of the outbreak but believe the virus has all the clinical features of viral gastro-enteritis.
- I was suffering a heavy cold at the end of last week, which then developed into gastro-enteritis.
- The bug is similar to the strain of viral gastro-enteritis which has affected a school, a hotel and another hospital in North Yorkshire in the last six weeks.
- He was also kept out of the sport for some of 2001 by viral gastro-enteritis.
- Also known as viral gastro-enteritis, it causes vomiting, headaches, abdominal cramps and sometimes diarrhoea.
- And there's good evidence that they can reduce the duration of rotavirus diarrhoea and gastro-enteritis in infants.
- Also not so long ago, cases of cholera and gastro-enteritis surfaced from various parts of the city, mainly affecting infants from slum areas.
- The chronic disease is usually induced by gastro-enteritis and can last for a couple of months or even years.
- ‘Consumption of polluted water may result in gastro-enteritis or other water-borne illness,’ he said.
- The infection was similar to the strain of viral gastro-enteritis which hit the hospital two years ago.
- Parvovirus is a particularly serious form of gastro-enteritis and results in severe vomiting and bloody diarrhoea.
- Farms were closed after traces were claimed to have been found of a virus causing gastro-enteritis and diarrhoea in oysters harvested in the inlet.
- Neither of us consider that this could be associated with parasitic gastro-enteritis, if, as has been stated, the herd was permanently housed.
- Another indicator was the high rates of child malnutrition, gastro-enteritis, tuberculosis, and other quintessential diseases of poverty.
- The athletes in the Olympic village should be safe, though last year the German junior rowing team were hit by gastro-enteritis caused by a salmonella infection during an Olympic test event.
- Last year his injury setbacks were further exacerbated by viral gastro-enteritis.
- It came just a month after an outbreak of the viral gastro-enteritis left one man in hospital and another 179 guests and 34 staff ill.
- The cause of that circulatory collapse is not entirely clear but she had symptoms both prior to the collapse and following the collapse suggestive of gastro-enteritis.
- Last year, a heat wave killed hundreds of people and led to thousands of new cases of gastro-enteritis and cholera in New Delhi.
- Infection with rotavirus, the commonest cause of gastro-enteritis in children, may lead to childhood diabetes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.