In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(crowd) congregarse(crowd) reunirse(crowd) juntarsethey gathered round the table — se reunieron / se agruparon en torno a la mesa
- the storm clouds were gathering — se avecinaba la tormenta
1(amass)(mushrooms/flowers) juntar(flowers/mushrooms) recoger(information) reunir(information) juntar(people) reunirto gather dust — juntar / acumular polvo
- the typewriters are just gathering dust — las máquinas de escribir están ahí sin hacer nada
2(marshal)(thoughts) ordenar(thoughts) poner en orden(strength/energy) juntar(strength/energy) hacer acopio de
3(gain gradually)(speed) ir adquiriendo
4(conclude)deducirI gather from what you're saying that you don't agree — deduzco por / de lo que dices que no estás de acuerdo
- you don't agree, I gather — según parece no estás de acuerdo
- I didn't gather much from the doctor — el médico no me dijo gran cosa
- you will have gathered who he is by now — ya te habrás dado cuenta de quién es
- she's left her job — so I gather — ha dejado el trabajo — así parece / eso tengo entendido
5(wrap)she gathered the shawl closer around her shoulders — se envolvió mejor con el chal
- he gathered the blanket about himself — se arropó con la manta
6(sweep)he gathered the child into his arms — tomó al niño en sus brazos
7(by sewing)fruncira gathered skirt — una falda fruncida
1literaryto gather oneself — disponerse
1fruncido masculinefrunce masculine
- A lot of young girls had experienced terrible intimidation by the crowds gathered around the shop in the past.
- And judging from the crowds gathered around the trophy and the queues looping around the Brunel Plaza, the tour looks to be on target for success.
- A crowd had gathered around one of the cottages in the town square.
- Many in a strong crowd, who had gathered around the screens, were heard to remark it was all about politics rather than singing and the song.
- A crowd of 300 demonstrators gathered around the jail, hurling firebombs, rockets and stones at the patrol.
- As we stood there conversing in this manner, a crowd gathered around to listen.
- I still remember a lover's quarrel last February when I'd walked desolately along Madison Avenue, only to come across a small crowd gathered around the store.
- Nearby, anxious crowds gathered around lists of injured posted on the walls of the hospital buildings.
- Crowds also gathered around a television where footage of the annual school drills from the 1960s was being shown.
- The sporting entertainment kicked off early in the day as crowds gathered around large TV screens to watch the World Cup final.
- A crowd gathered around one of the burned-out cars.
- He said that when he arrived on the scene at 2.46 pm a crowd of youths had gathered around the southern edge of the lagoon, off Northfield Lane.
- And again, she told herself that as she entered the party and viewed the crowd of fans gathered around him.
- The grocery shop was next door to the sweet shop and when I got there I saw a crowd of children gathered around a television camera and some photographers.
- Philip's statement brought a ripple of laughter from the crowd of assembled contestants gathered around the archery range.
- It seems that a crowd of them had gathered around the quarrelling demonstrators, while the British cops attempted to keep the two sides apart.
- Large crowds have gathered around him, and he begins to teach them.
- A big crowd gathered around the freshly painted Red Cross Centre to join in the celebrations of the new facilities to the region.
- Mike looked around at the assemblage gathered around him.
- From atop a tree-house, the big picture of a man with a white flowing beard gazed down on a merry crowd gathered around a huge cake.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.