In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1feminine reuniónfeminine concurrenciaa family gathering — una reunión familiar
1(intensity/speed) creciente(speed/intensity) en aumentothe gathering storm — la tormenta que se avecina (/ avecinaba etc. )
- We build this country one person at a time, she told the assembled gathering at the college.
- He said he expected the gathering could become a meeting of various thoughts and ideas that were alive in society.
- The Monday scheduled for the subsequent meeting attracted a satisfactory gathering of graduates and friends.
- Accordingly, a gathering assembled to carry out Sam's wishes.
- Difficult meetings, family gatherings and so on can be chances to use your new skills.
- The meeting was the first gathering of leaders of the two groups before the elections.
- Thank you for that magnificent speech yesterday, and it is my pleasure to ask you to address the assembled gathering.
- The holidays bring parties and family gatherings when everyone wants to appear their best.
- At first the pictures appear to have been taken at a family gathering - a christening or a birthday party.
- Denise was delighted to inform the assembled gathering that no less than four talented women from the community were set to entertain and inform.
- The exact purpose of the gathering is a surprise to the guests, who are honored with testimonials of gratitude from their hosts.
- The purpose of the gathering is to give tourism outlets a chance to share their knowledge with their colleagues of the fantastic range of tourism products and activities available in the County.
- The auditorium will serve as a meeting place for public gatherings and academic conferences.
- I mean this is something for the people to think about and the purpose of a gathering like this is for me, through this forum, to talk directly to the people of Australia.
- We are a gathering with massively more purpose than significance.
- The gathering was assembled to pay their respects and lay wreathes on all the graves.
- Rather than a peaceful gathering, the assembly descended into an auditorium-wide field of skirmishes that ended in 11 suspensions and two arrests.
- At least, it offered a jolly background for the family gathering.
- Before beginning his journey, he enthralled the sizable gathering, which had assembled at the starting point, with his magic.
- Other protestors arrived on foot, or by bike, and some kept busy by taking photographs of the assembled gathering.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.