In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In tub two, serve up three favorite cold soups, such as gazpacho, vichyssoise, and iced tomato.
- I always thought of gazpacho as a chilled tomato soup but I was far from complaining about the flavoursome, thick sauce in which my light-as-a-feather dumplings swam.
- With items ranging from gazpacho and carpaccio to couscous, this idea finds expression in small, colourful dishes inspired by various international cuisines.
- I went to the tapas place and had gazpacho (red garlic soup!) and a tortilla.
- Tomato gazpacho is one of the Spanish dishes that has an international presence, as do paellas and mountain hams.
- The most famous Andalusian dish is gazpacho, a cold soup made with tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and olive oil.
- Among the most commonly served are a tomato and green pepper salad, similar to Spanish gazpacho.
- So be kind to the novice over there, eating his gazpacho with the wrong spoon.
- A clean-cut chilled gazpacho made an exhilarating appetiser, its sharp tomato edge juxtaposed with a mellow, voluptuous quenelle of crab and avocado.
- Unfortunately, my curious nature feels wasteful ordering two of the same thing so I let mom order that and I ordered the tomatillo cucumber gazpacho with lobster and a lobster roll, to round out the theme.
- Likewise, in Spain, both white and red gazpacho benefit from a handful of breadcrumbs.
- Dinner menu starters included pan fried breast of pigeon with pear tempura and gazpacho dressing, and baked Brie with apple and walnut compote.
- The rest of the offerings straddle fare from France and Spain, starting with the soups - a refreshing gazpacho right alongside a hot, cheesy French onion.
- But with the enticing meals here - they include salmon salads, black bean chili and tangy gazpacho soup with crabmeat - even die-hard carnivores can do it.
- There is a Spanish station, with a massive paella, lamb navarin, an orange chicken and the classical gazpacho cold soup.
- She didn't feel that way and tipped her gazpacho soup into my lap before leaving.
- On a hot afternoon, cool off with gazpacho, a cold vegetable soup.
- One of the first gazpacho recipes consisted of almond meal, sour grape juice, and breadcrumbs, a dish still served in Spanish restaurants.
- As we waited for the next course to arrive, the now obligatory cappuccino-cup of soup arrived - a beautifully fruity tomato soup with the consistency of gazpacho and tinged with melon.
- It is now most familiar in the form of Andalusian gazpacho, which is typically a cold soup with various vegetable ingredients, notably garlic, tomato, and cucumber.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.