In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Since the years of generative semantics, it has been claimed that the adverbs ‘again’ and ‘almost’ have access to different parts of verbal meanings.
- During this period, he became a leading figure in US linguistics, replacing a mechanistic and behaviouristic view of language with a mentalistic and generative approach.
- In this case, I suspect that the explanation has more to do the psychological complexities of real-time composition than with the logic of grammar, generative or otherwise.
- Functionalism as a linguistic approach is different from generative and cognitive approaches in that it makes no claim as to the cognitive reality of the mechanisms it proposes - that matter is irrelevant to its usefulness.
- The whole question is fascinating, because generative linguists have not tended to be interested in this question.
- For conservationists, the concept of biodiversity encapsulates a vision of orderly flows, in which the generative capacity of the environment functions productively.
- The genome contains instead a program of instructions for making the organism - a generative program - in which the cytoplasmic constituents of eggs and cells are essential players along with the genes.
- They are both a product of and a facilitator for future generative relationships.
- Each haploid cell undergoes a mitotic division to produce the generative and vegetative nuclei.
- The consistent elements of the generative conception are that form is reproduced consistently.
- Continuing the consideration of the influence of the generative organs in the production of insanity, I come now to puerperal insanity.
- Here, I wish to situate discussion of Italian-Australian cultural production as part of the diverse generative dynamics organic to Australian multicultural culture.
- The feel of place emerges from an ancestral aesthetic that is mediated by the generative and transposable effects of ancestral places.
- It has seemed all but impossible to avoid the trap of an appropriationist logic of domination built into the nature/culture binarism and its generative lineage, including the sex/gender distinction.
- In effect, the potential for generative activity as parents is a social opportunity that is allocated differently across diverse social contexts.
- In the silky upper layer the epiphytic organisms are most often attached to the generative and skeletal hyphae that make up this layer.
- The degree of generative polyploidy is indicated using the letter ‘x’.
- It thus illuminates conceptual linkages in the model of generative fathering and provides feedback that can be used to refine such concepts.
- As metaphors, they often speak of wombs, both as sexual and generative organs, or they may refer more abstractly to power points, voids which attract concentric lines of force and flow around themselves.
- There are two possible methods by which this could arise: by generative reproduction via unreduced gametes or by somatic mutations.
- One of them is generative learning, in which people produce words from cues instead of passively reading them.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.