In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1genio masculinethe genie of the lamp — el genio de la lámpara
- His second wish was to have piles of gold, and the genie granted it.
- He wanted me to help him summon the genie for whatever evil plot he had planned.
- Be careful what you unleash: some genies can never be put back in their bottles.
- The genie is out of the bottle and now we must learn to live with it.
- If you had your choice, if you could pull a genie out of a bottle and the genie could grant you three wishes, what would your three wishes be?
- All manner of unsavoury genies have been released from bottles in which they slumbered quite safely; they are not easily returned.
- Can she melt her tyrant husband's cold heart with her tales of treasures, monsters, genies, magic and romance and create a true story of her own?
- Proper genies only grant wishes when they want to.
- It was true that a person chosen to receive the help of a genie got three wishes.
- Contrary to what you might think, genies have quite a bit of control over what wishes get granted.
- With the genie out of the bottle, it was only a matter of time before something more horrid would emerge.
- He spies a bottle that looks like it could hold a genie, so he rubs it.
- His friend summoned the genie, and made a wish that all of the forty thieves would be sent to a land far away.
- They recognized that getting the nuclear genie back in the bottle was nigh impossible.
- The breathtaking effects - genies in bottles, magic carpets - are by the stage illusionist responsible for the famous scene in the musical The Witches Of Eastwick.
- Once again, we see that you cannot put the genie back in the bottle once it is out.
- She didn't care if he was a genie that could make her dearest wishes come true.
- Let's get a genie and wish that we could be young again and all of those things could be true.
- Images of genies and bottles, clocks turned back, trains leaving stations, and the like tend to pepper our discourse and justify our passivity in the face of a historical force majeure.
- Supernatural creatures such as angels, genies, ghosts, and spirits, are believed to exist.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.