In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Why is it acceptable to discuss reparations for the victims of genocide in some instances but not in others?
- Its remit is to try offences of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes.
- Churchill argues that the experiences of his people are nothing less than genocide.
- If the UN accepts that genocide is occurring, it is legally obliged to take action to stop it.
- The higher politics of the Cold War were more important than stopping Pol Pot's genocide.
- The report stated that much of what had been done to them was tantamount to genocide.
- Surely one such lesson is that the denial of genocide is a dangerous and immoral thing.
- The answer to how people or states convince themselves to commit murder or genocide is complex.
- After we liberated Europe we did not come home to deny freedoms and practise genocide here.
- Chris makes an interesting comment on the United Nations and use of the term genocide.
- He may be charged with genocide and the trial could start next after this case.
- The perpetrators of genocide were no different from those who did not participate in the bloodletting.
- Racism and extreme nationalism, which live on in our new century, do not always lead to genocide.
- They want him deported to Vilnius, the city of his birth, to stand trial for genocide.
- It is less clear, Stephen speculates, that he will be found guilty of genocide.
- He is expected to report on the region next month, to try to evaluate whether genocide has taken place.
- As well as mass genocide, Stalin tore thousands of families apart by exiling men to the icy wastes of Siberia.
- We see indicators of genocide, and there is evidence that points in that direction.
- The tragedy is made all the worse because genocide is both predictable and preventable.
- By guarding wide areas from swift armed advance on civilians, they can prevent genocide.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.