- While bamboo stalks and roots make up about 95 percent of its diet, the giant panda also feeds on gentians, irises, crocuses, fish, and occasionally small rodents.
- Traditionally, gentians require a peat-based compost but Ian uses a ‘greener’ alternative.
- As we climb, the maze of trees, ferns, and blueberry bushes gives way to subalpine meadows painted with purple lupine, pale blue gentians, crimson columbine, and yellow arnica.
- It's a surprisingly verdant mountain - spared by the last glaciation - where rhododendrons, gentians and rare orchids bloom.
- In summer, the meadow is in full bloom; in fall, asters and gentians shine, and the trees put on quite a display.