In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Antioch, the capital of the Roman province of Syria, was where the first church was planted among the Gentiles.
- Also the congregations in these synagogues were Jews, Gentiles sat outside the main room on one side and the women and children on the other side.
- This emphasis and a focus on redeeming the Gentiles moved the early church away from a land-related agenda.
- There, it was decided that the Gentiles were not bound to the Jewish Law.
- Paul knew that Gentiles as well as Jews could live such a faith.
- He had come not just for Israel, but also for the Gentiles!
- On the other hand, the Gentiles, and the Greeks in particular, were evolutionary in their thinking.
- Eventually, it warmed the souls of countless thousands of Jews and Gentiles, throughout the known world.
- Even the Gentiles' hearts have been touched by Napoleon's sweet spirit.
- Such preaching will always be a stumbling block, to Gentiles and Jews alike.
- Paul saw the law to be the factor which separated Jews from Gentiles.
- Traditionally, intermarriage between Jews and Gentiles has been forbidden.
- Again we must say that this was strictly a Jewish affair, no Gentiles being involved; no, not even the Roman guard.
- By the way, did you know that there really was a wall in the Jewish temple in Jerusalem that divided Jews from Gentiles?
- He will, for the very first time, bring unity to the Jews and Gentiles!
- Were believing Gentiles indeed fellow heirs of Abraham along with believing Jews?
- Edwards then explains that the purpose of all this was to open a door for the apostles when they came to preach the gospel to the Gentiles.
- I think that this information would be of interest to Gentiles as well as Jews.
- Both Gentiles and Jews were being invited to enter into this new temple through their acceptance of the gospel message.
- All those rules were terrible but the worst one of all was the one that forbid Gentiles to associate with Jews.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.