- By 1840 they had earned enough money to retire and became gentlemen farmers in North Carolina.
- Her father, a young barrister from Manchester with dreams of becoming a gentleman farmer, had acquired a 70-acre property in southern California
- The threadbare plot of the film concerns a song-and-dance man who retires from showbusiness to become a gentleman farmer but finds country life more demanding than he thought.
- In 1866 the country's first major winery was established at Canada's most southerly point by three gentlemen farmers from Kentucky who planted 20 acres of Isabella vines.
- In the 18th century, gentlemen farmers such as Robert Bakewell of Dishley in Leicestershire took an active interest in improving livestock.