In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- These were the scientists who were to devote their labours to the study of natural history, geology, astronomy and even the nascent discipline of anthropology.
- Physical sciences, particularly earth sciences such as geology and hydrology, are popular subjects for study and research in Oman's university.
- The country has produced important work in biology, medicine, geology, mathematics, physics, genetics, psychology, and anthropology.
- The 143,670-square-foot building will house facilities for teaching biology, chemistry, geology, physics and other sciences.
- McPhee is possibly best known for his explorations in earth history and geology which earned him a Pulitzer Prize in 1999 for his book.
- Not only was very little known about the geological features of the earth, but at that time there were no university degrees in geology and no professional geologists.
- Portland cement manufacturing incorporates many disciplines, from engineering to chemistry to geology to computer science.
- They have undergraduate or graduate degrees in subjects including anthropology, geology, marine science and maritime history.
- From the physical sciences, Quaternary geology developed as a discipline that was initially almost entirely divorced from considerations of human behavior.
- In the natural sciences, biology and geology should be emphasized.
- Macedonia has research institutes dealing with geology, natural history, cotton, animal breeding, tobacco, animal husbandry, and water development.
- Indeed, many physicists did not even believe that geology and biology were sciences at all.
- Courses related to astrobiology are offered in the departments of geology, biology, physics, and electrical engineering.
- Structural geology is the branch of geology that deals with the description and interpretation of the structure of rocks.
- Finding oil and gas is a process that combines physics and geology with a lot of engineering technology.
- A fundamental tenet of the science of geology is the Principle of Uniformitarianism, which states that the present is a key to the past.
- My first love of school science was geology, and that was definitely not ladylike in the '60s.
- Stephen Jay Gould teaches biology, geology, and the history of science at Harvard University.
- The new sciences - uniformitarian geology, nebular astronomy, and evolutionary biology - were rooted in a temporal methodology, as was evolutionary social science.
- John, who left school at 16, learned in early March that he would receive his BSc degree in geology and earth sciences just a month before 25-year-old Alyson's own graduation.
- It's taken the father-of-three 23 years to complete a BSc in geology and earth sciences from the Open University.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.