In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Politics(state/district) (para beneficiar a un partido) dividir injustamente
- A way should be found to create an upper house, and to so gerrymander the provinces that it over-represents the Sunni minority.
- Republicans dominate the Ohio legislature thanks to a heavily gerrymandered crazy quilt of rigged districts, and to a moribund Ohio Democratic party.
- The only reason U.S. Senate seats stayed competitive is that the politicians cannot gerrymander state lines.
- They are not in a position where they can gerrymander constituencies.
- With the electoral boundaries gerrymandered in parallel, many nationalist council majorities were wiped out.
- Another issue that has caused problems between Congress and the White House has been gerrymandering and the mal-apportionment of Congressional constituencies.
- We will cut any tax, grease any campaign contributor and gerrymander any state to advance the cause of a Republican congressional majority.
- When a newspaper company owns a cluster, it will likely gerrymander circulation areas and eliminate overlapping areas of circulation.
- The rich and powerful in this country manipulate elections, and gerrymander voting districts.
- A gerrymandered election does not make for a democracy.
- Texas political operatives pointed out that five Democratic representatives are fighting for their lives in new districts gerrymandered by the GOP.
- He said the party had impoverished its supporters and predicted that they would turn against the ruling party, no matter how the constituency boundaries were gerrymandered.
- I sure wish I could agree with your prediction but America has been gerrymandered into easily predictable red or blue districts.
- Politicians have come to see manipulation of the vote much as they see gerrymandering boundaries of voting districts - all part of the electoral game.
- If anything, it reinforced perceptions that the board and the ANC were simply gerrymandering provincial boundaries to suit short-term political ends.
- In the last elections, the ruling family shamelessly gerrymandered electoral districts to dilute the Shia vote.
- Ironically, the Syrians originally gerrymandered the north in 2000 so as to give an advantage to the Sunnis over the Christians.
- He gerrymandered electoral districts in order to control the results and sought to regulate the press.
- States using an independent approach produced more than twice as many competitive races for state legislatures than did gerrymandered states.
- There has been a lot of gerrymandering of the constituency boundaries.
- Mercifully, the official exhibition was not gerrymandered into national sections or pretentiously titled thematic subdivisions.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.