In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The four orang-utans and two gibbons were returned to Indonesia after being illegally poached and smuggled to Japan eight months ago.
- Those species were chimpanzee, gorilla, orangutan, gibbon, macaque and owl monkey.
- Only five percent of mammals are thought to be socially monogamous, including gibbons, jackals, and tamarins.
- Today it comprises humans, the gibbons, and the great apes (orangutan, chimpanzee, and gorilla).
- Over the years, the temple has became a famous sanctuary for tigers, deer, boars, peacocks, fowl, gibbons and horses.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.