In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Hard disk capacity is measured in gigabytes - a gigabyte being roughly 1,000 megabytes.
- The resulting data warehouse filled 250 gigabytes of storage, and grows daily.
- We used to measure data in terms of kilobytes and megabytes; now gigabytes and terabytes are the terms commonly discussed.
- I am sure there must be millions like me who are mystified by bytes, megabytes, gigabytes or whatever they are called.
- That can add up to hundreds or thousands of additional gigabytes of disk storage.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.