In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1antro masculine informaltugurio masculine
- I usually had to argue, cajole, persuade, and, as a last resort, grovel, to get my dad to take me with him to the neighborhood gin mill, to watch the Friday Night Fights on TV.
- You'll meet cruising sailors from all over the world, a few ex-pats who now run some very cool gin mills, and lots of friendly locals with some excellent stories to tell.
- The lad grew up and discovered in gin mills that he had real talent for bar fights.
- ‘You couldn't walk a block without a gin mill,’ he recalls.
- Eight years later he found himself living at the home of a waitress who served at the gin mill he frequented.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.