In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masculine pan de jengibrefeminine galleta de jengibre
- It will sell goods like gingerbread, cakes, crafts and Christmas decorations.
- The castle's chefs are also responsible for the coffee shop fare - look out for fruit cakes, gingerbread and daily specials.
- I can imagine Dorothy taking out the ginger to make gingerbread which her brother liked so much.
- This involved all kinds of sweetmeats, tarts, spiced cakes, and gingerbread, consumed with sweet wines.
- She hadn't had gingerbread since leaving home.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.