In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(en forma de monigote) galleta de jengibre feminine
- Children were rewarded for their efforts at the end of the day when they were each given a chocolate coin and a gingerbread man.
- Jack scratched his side as he stuffed a gingerbread man down his throat.
- My boss is touched when I present her with a gingerbread man the following morning.
- They're half-sized gingerbread men, due to the lack of reasonably-sized biscuit cutters available.
- A batch of gingerbread men probably wouldn't last until Christmas Day but they would look great for as long as you could keep little hands off them!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.