In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- As for the movie scenario, what if several zebras, hippos, giraffes, and lions were introduced to the island?
- A good idea is to board the little train which encircles the zoo enclosure and allows you to see the giraffes, hippos, zebra, camels and rhinos.
- These animals include giraffes, penguins, macaques, bonobos, and geese.
- But Madagascar's landscape may not be a bad fit for lions, giraffes, zebras, and hippos.
- There are 1,000 animals, including tigers, giraffes, even rhinos.
- Imagine a world without giraffes, zebras and antelope, except locked in cages for the paying public.
- Imagine all of these scholars bringing exotic animals like giraffes back from distant lands to London and people gawking at them.
- The roads and pathways are lined with sculpted, totem-like lamp-posts in the shape of equine beasts, including giraffes, horses or deer.
- While at a Kenyan beach resort last month they decided to return to the Maasai Mara animal reserves to see animals such as giraffes, lions and elephants.
- It's been observed in many other bird species besides parrots and macaws, as well as elephants, macaques, giraffes, rhinos and chimpanzees.
- The desire to reach higher leaves led to longer necks, and later on, the giraffes ' offspring inherited that physical trait.
- Okapis and giraffes are very different in their ecology and behavior.
- The zoo offices were once the airport club house and the old hangers are now used as the living area of a giraffe and the Indian elephants.
- The geophone is capable of tracking not only elephants, but also other large mammals, including giraffes and lions.
- Our fathers used to hunt giraffes, water-bucks and antelopes and eat their meet.
- The hippos snorted, the rhinos dozed and the giraffes nervously darted about as the hammer fell yesterday at Africa's largest wild animal auction.
- The first deer and giraffes also appear, along with the first hyenas.
- The preserve is home to elephants, giraffes, zebra, and various species of antelope and monkey.
- Long-necked giraffes and camels have the same seven neck bones as do short-necked mice and men.
- The long neck of the giraffe and the short neck of the hippopotamus are both explained by the theory.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.