In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- As a young girl she was a Girl Guide and Ranger for years.
- I was barely out of bed the next morning when we had a troupe of Girl Guides turn up to look at the house.
- You don't have to be a sports club necessarily, we have had some interest from Girl Guides and Boy Scouts for example, and hopefully there will be some schoolchildren as well.
- A group of Girl Guides will hold a reunion for its 80th anniversary.
- I remember, when I was about eleven, I went away for the weekend with the Girl Guides.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.