In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The vivianite occurs in dark brown and dark gray beds of glacial silt and clay.
- When the glaciers melted and receded, the copper and rock were dropped from the ice sheets and became part of the glacial deposits.
- Like glacial terminal moraines, these population groups represented deposits resulting from four centuries of immigration.
- Fifteen glacial tongues of ice can be seen without leaving your car.
- In contrast, glacial and periglacial deposits, such as dropstones, were formed at high latitudes; these are notably important in the late Carboniferous and early Permian.
- From the 3,000 foot glacial valley where the plane dropped us off, we went after our first slopes, undulating falls that one of the many Vinson ice tributaries.
- We have 420,000 years of climate history at our fingertips, covering the last four glacial and interglacial cycles.
- Several minerals, classified as drift minerals in this article, are present in Pleistocene glacial deposits.
- Although this may not sound like a large increase, it may be enough to affect the rate of glacial melting, raising sea levels, and to otherwise have an impact on the earth's climate.
- A body embedded in glacial ice - what else could this be but the gruesome record of a climbing accident?
- We propose that the last glacial maximum Welsh Ice Cap formed part of a much larger and more dynamic British-Irish Ice Sheet.
- In the last million years, the Earth has been through seven glacial cycles, the last of which - named the Holocene - began 10,000 years ago.
- Later he became strongly opposed to the theory that proglacial lakes were formed by the agency of huge glacial dams.
- During cold glacial times, desert regions become more arid and the production of silt increases and its transportation is enhanced.
- In some sections these high values declined to more moderate values just below the glacial deposits.
- The new work confirms the stable relationship between Antarctic climate and the greenhouse gasses carbon dioxide and methane during the last four glacial cycles.
- Reference is made to the dating presence of shells and glacial deposits, and the burial chronology and body size reduction evidence.
- These processes can be observed occurring in the near-surface at present and have also affected late Devensian and pre-late Devensian glacial deposits.
- It is unknown how many more veins that occur in this area may contain worldclass specimens because most of the land is covered with glacial till deposits and outcrops are scarce.
- Gypsum crystals are present, occurring in Pleistocene glacial lake beds of bluish-gray silt and clay that are exposed along the banks of the creek.
- The plains and valleys here often consist of glacial moraine or deposits from ancient lakes.
2(very cold)(wind/weather) glacial(look/indifference/stare) glacial
- His sword continued to blaze, its hilt now a shapeless mass of brilliant glacial blue light.
- As the car slowly rolled past him, he raised his bowl to the window, not speaking, and stared at me for a moment with celestial, incomprehensible, glacial blue eyes.
- He wondered if Clara had packed her blue satin dress - no it still clung to the wardrobe hook, like ice, glacial blue.
- We climbed slowly towards the Katantika Pass, inching towards the magnificent, glaciated summits of Presidente and Flor, their white snow tinged with glacial blue.
- Throughout the world lie lush forests, arid deserts, glacial mountains.
- He looked at the angry, confused faces on the screen frozen against a glacial blue sky.
- She leaned back and looked into the glacial blue of his eyes.
- The movie's emotional trajectory is also from hot to cold, earth tones to glacial whites.
- A glacial frigidity has taken the place of the wild party.
- Dozens of icebergs, each a few feet high, float lazily, their whiteness turning to a glacial blue in the depths.
- The Supreme Court could accept it, but I expect that anyone that would appeal wouldn't just have a chilly reception, but a perfectly glacial reception.
- His blue eyes were the color of glacial ice and his black hair was as dark as space.
- I could see across the flood plain towards rivers of blue glacial ice cascading down from the flanks of distant mountains.
- This dispassionate view of man and nature brings an icy edge to his work, intensified by her color choice of glacial whites and gelid blues.
- But his glacial blue eyes reflect a glint of triumph.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.