In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(blade/shoes/metal) relucir(shoes/blade/metal) brillar(hair/eyes) brillar
1(on metal, water)reflejo masculinebrillo masculineshe had an amused gleam in her eye — miraba con una chispa de picardía
- it's still just a gleam in his eye — aún no es más que una idea que lo ilusiona
- His eyes gleamed with an icy fury, adding to his grief.
- Leo smirked at me while his emerald eyes gleamed with mischief.
- It unnerved him when she looked at him with fear gleaming in her eyes.
- His eyes gleamed with mischief and Lily laughed despite her anger.
- Their copies gleam shiny black and perfect, with uncracked spines, uncreased pages, and a redesigned cover.
- He creates a play of black and blue colours to set the backdrop and on this he places three boats, with bright lights gleaming from them.
- Fear gleamed from his malachite eyes and choking his every breath.
- The huntress silently pulled out a small dagger from her waist; its blade gleamed in the flickering light.
- They moved to the front and sat attentively, hope gleaming in their eyes.
- A light flickered, then a red flare seemed to gleam brightly.
- I'd rather sweat and curse over ten pages of something new than dry and polish one page until it's gleaming and ready to be put away.
- There was a large wooden desk, highly polished and gleaming like it had been soaked in oil, at the nether end of the room.
- Yet something about her, perhaps the defined line of her chin, or the gleam of intelligence lurking in her dark eyes, told him that she knew.
- I made the mistake of looking up at her, only to see that the smile on her face had grown, the twinkle in her eyes gleaming more brightly then ever.
- It's now as smooth and gleaming, and as ruddily glowing, as a freshly deforested Alpine slope at sunset.
- The floors and banisters had been varnished and polished till they gleamed, the frames of paintings had received a thorough cleaning.
- An off-colored rock, gleaming near white in the gloom, was good for a slight scoot.
- I woke up in a room filled with white and a bright light gleamed into my face.
- The rich, dark, walnut surface gleamed like glass, the china and silver twinkling in the light cast from two huge candelabra.
- Their eyes were gleaming with relief and an overall feeling of gratitude.
- Silver metallic surfaces gleamed at him from every angle, a tangled heap of wires residing around five power ports in a row.
- They were Indians, though I could see the light from the few lanterns gleaming off their white chests.
- The scales had been polished carefully and gleamed from the light of the torches on the walls.
- As the smoke glittered and gleamed, shining brilliantly, he had to shadow his eyes.
- All I ever wanted in life was to make them proud, to see them smiling at me, pride gleaming in their eyes.
- A twinkle of amusement and excitement gleamed in his olive colored eyes.
- She caught his eye and he could almost swear that he saw a flash of mischief gleaming in hers.
- In front of them, several giant exhibition stands in black polished color gleamed in the flashing lights of green, white, yellow, and blue.
- Cleaned and polished until it gleamed in the harsh lights of the gym, it promised glory in an otherwise ugly world.
- A future as a domestic goddess will surely be mine - but in the meantime, my surfaces are gleaming, thank you very much.
- As he looked at me, he flashed a seemingly perfect smile, his straight white teeth gleamed in the light.
- A smile widened his mouth and his beautiful eyes gleamed with happiness. ‘I love you too, my darling.’
- His armour was of the finest steel; smooth surfaced and gleaming in the rays of the morning sun.
- And so, after a full day of washing and dusting and cleaning and polishing until the house gleamed, it was my turn to be gossied up and smartened, ready for inspection.
- A plump, rounded moon settled alongside the twinkling lights and gleamed observantly from its position in the sky.
- Smooth polished oak flooring gleamed in the afternoon light flooding in from the open windows.
- Krystal looked at him once, with disappointment gleaming wetly in her eyes.
- The leader gave a bit of ground, then held firm and grinned back; large, white fangs and rain-damped fur gleaming in the dim light.
- I looked at him, though still on the floor, his eyes were gleaming strangely with pride and amazement.
- The single gleam of wickedness in his eyes was enough to chill her blood.
- And there, in the centre of the valley, gleaming so brightly it seems to possess an inner light of its own: The Crystal City.
- His yellow eyes gleamed with pride of his humble stature.
- The shade exactly matched her eyes as they gleamed with love and joy.
- He lives in a posh, modern mid-rise, its lobby ablaze in polished surfaces that gleam like gold teeth.
- The stars gleaming and moon shining lit my way to the secluded hill as the noise of everyone behind me faded.
- She follows the story with a burst of laughter, her eyes gleaming with pleasure.
- His face has a slightly rakish quality to it, his eyes gleaming with charm, and cunning.
- Just there, in the hopeful gleam of your eye, and the gentle bow of your lip.
- The footwear radiated the sense of money, all polished and gleaming.
- She smiled and leaned towards her guest with more than polite curiosity gleaming in her blue eyes.
- The young man held up his hands to show he was unarmed, but they continued towards him, the daggers gleaming in the flickering light.
- She remained silent, her head held high and her eyes gleaming with anger.
- There was a gleam of triumph in Abigail's eyes now, and she pressed on.
- A gleam of something shot through his eyes, and I shrunk back in fear.
- A black, highly polished coach gleamed in the moonlight as its side door closed.
- His eyes gleamed with mischief and he took her hand in his and kissed it like in those 16th century movies.
- The sapphire seemed to gleam with an inner light of its own as it reflected the hot sunlight falling upon it.
- But this gem was like all of those gems combined somehow, and it gleamed in the morning light, catching the sun's rays and casting them back at the poet.
- He made his way down the hallway, the lights gleaming even brighter, piercing through the void of space.
- As it walked closer to the fire they could see white hair gleaming in the light.
- I've spent the entire day washing and polishing windows till they gleamed.
- Her auburn hair, tinted gold, gleamed in the fluorescent light.
- The soft grass they stood on was covered in sweet dew, the water gleaming and reflecting the light upon their faces.
- There everything looked shiny and new, gleaming with the polished metallic look of a classic car show.
- They had brought down the old walnut writing desk from the loft and had polished it until it gleamed contentedly.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.