In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He formed a glee club with local farm boys and held concerts in towns and hamlets across the county, collecting donations at each performance.
- A majority of the 42nd's officers spent some time policing strikes; others combated vice, studied police methods, or even sang in the department glee club.
- Most readers will have fond memories of the student organizations they joined in their college years: a political union, perhaps, or a glee club or dramatic society.
- She joined almost everything the school had offered: cheerleading, school paper, yearbook staff, dance troupe, glee club, and drama club.
- In the center of town was a stage and amphitheater which last night held the town's large orchestra and a glee club.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.