In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the gloaming — el ocaso literary
- It's the gloaming twilight of it, the soft seduction of lost hopes, the valiant wit, the heroic jig.
- The sweetest songs belong to lovers in the gloaming,
- As it was, the darkness of night was beginning to give way to the gloaming before daylight.
- Small numbers of red deer are also here, especially in the gloaming, grazing high among the pines.
- But these marines did see a black flag pop up all at once above a water tower about 100 yards away, then a second flag somewhere in the gloaming above a rooftop.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.