In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- We are frequently faced with a translation that has many source language words, and a glossary longer than the text itself.
- As well as becoming a best seller it also contained a glossary of Lancashire words and phrases he collected over the years.
- A listing of authors and a glossary of words can be found at the end of the book.
- In all, you can access up to 150 dictionaries, glossaries and reference works about the word you're exploring.
- The 260 pages end with a brief glossary and a few references for further reading.
- The book would have gained substantially from a glossary and a bibliography of secondary sources on the subject.
- It also contains one of the most comprehensive glossaries of local words and expressions to be found outside specialist books.
- It is especially useful that words defined in the glossary are in bold in the text.
- The text is broken down into four chapters, a glossary, lists of trees by category, and an index.
- A glossary giving a brief explanation of many technical terms reinforces this impression.
- Likewise, she points out, she has never chosen to include glossaries to demystify certain words for an overseas readership.
- At the end of the book there is a brief glossary of terms used throughout the text.
- Indeed it seemed so unfamiliar to would-be patrons that the menu came with an explanatory glossary of unfamiliar ingredients.
- So a few words in the glossary were inadequately defined?
- You find a question and answer section, a glossary, a list of books, a dealer's list and more.
- There is a glossary, along with lists of endangered and threatened taxa and references.
- Since the topic is technical, we have included a small glossary of Sanskrit words at the end of this issue.
- Each chapter is followed by a brief summary and a glossary of key terms.
- The fact sheet, brief history, glossary and list of abbreviations are also invaluable additions.
- The glossary contains explanations of abbreviations and terms used in this pamphlet.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.