In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It is possible that the ‘breath holding’ episodes the child exhibited previously were in fact intermittent and momentary obstruction of the glottis by the tonsil.
- Interestingly, Valsalva maneuvers against pinched nostrils and closed glottis did, however, produce upward deflection of the eyes.
- Then the blunt wire was introduced inside the trachea when the glottis was open.
- The extrinsic muscles of the larynx control the degree of tension on the vocal cords, and the intrinsic muscles regulate the glottis.
- The Valsava response occurs when air is forced against a closed glottis (the narrowest part of the larynx, through which air passes into and out of the trachea).
- The glottis suddenly closes and stops the inflow of air resulting in the sound of a hiccup.
- The closed shutter maneuver was performed with the subject's glottis open and the cheeks held firmly with his hands.
- In bulbar patients, a nonfunctioning glottis can cause an uncomfortable choking sensation, making mouth pressure measurements difficult.
- Cough, pronounced coff, is onomatopoeic in origin, from the sound of the closure of the glottis plus the sound of air whizzing or wheezing through the trachea.
- Hiccups in dogs, just as in people, are caused when a spasm of the muscular diaphragm creates a sudden inhalation followed by a closure of the glottis.
- To speak Carrier you have to get in touch with your glottis.
- The diagnosis is definitively established by visualization of the glottis when the patient is symptomatic.
- During the compressive phase, the glottis is closed and the expiratory muscles start to contract.
- Pass the deflated cuff along the right side of the blade through the visualized glottis.
- Now one of the alternative pronunciations of which really does involve ‘an aspirating H sound’, that is, noise generated by turbulent flow of air through the glottis.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.