In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1gnomo masculinethe gnomes of Zurich — los banqueros suizos
- They say the elves have been tracking something in the Wood, and it ain't gnomes or goblins.
- The mean dwellings of gnomes and goblins came into view, as well as armed camps dotted with small fires.
- The book is based on the story of a crafty 12-year-old Irish boy who is immersed in a world of fairies, leprechauns and gnomes.
- And, if Santa is as jolly and big-hearted as his public relations advisers have us believe, he should be fairly generous when it comes to dishing out the dosh to his helpers: elves, fairies, gnomes and so on.
- Leprechauns are the Irish version of elves or gnomes.
- Before our modern era most people who had encounters knew that what they were dealing with were daemons, dragons, gnomes, fairies and trolls.
- Elves and men and gnomes and goblins alike looked about in fear and confusion.
- Powder coated fir trees line the loops conjuring images of snow monsters and giant gnomes.
- But this was not a glad sight, for the roads and paths showed that they were well-travelled, and recently, by goblins and gnomes.
- When I was very small, I would look for fairies and gnomes in our yard.
- The small nocturnal visitors of the middle Ages were known as fairies, leprechauns, elves, or gnomes - the little people.
- More than once they came across the bleached bones and disintegrated rags of gnomes, goblins, and other dead marauders.
- The gnomes and goblins were milling about, obviously not responding to orders, and desperately looking for ways to escape.
- Again, what is the inspiration behind characters such as fairies, elves, gnomes, and witches?
- Behind these were many ranks of pixies, gnomes and nymphs, and in the rear a thousand beautiful fairies floated along in gorgeous array.
- Wizards, fairies, elves, trolls and gnomes everywhere fell as the magical bird made its final pass over the land, taking with it the power it had once possessed.
- The bodies of the goblins and gnomes were left as they were.
- Seated around the smaller tables were an assortment of fairies, gnomes, centaurs, unicorns, elves, goat men, dragons, and a number of creatures she'd never seen before.
- A catlike purple creature startled the gnome into standing up.
- You do not have to discourse with fairies or elves, gnomes or trolls.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.